According to IBM’s 2020 Cost of Data Breach Report, human error causes nearly 25% of data breaches, meaning that a negligent employee can become a tangible threat to your business’ invaluable data. The only way to prevent your employees from compromising your business data is by providing regular security awareness training. Conducting a one-time training program will not suffice amid today’s ever-changing threat landscape.
Cyber criminals are waiting to exploit your business’ vulnerabilities, one of which could be your employees. There are multiple ways negligent employees could jeopardise the security, integrity or accessibility of your business data, including:
- Password reuse: Reusing the same password for multiple accounts is a very common bad password habit. Research suggests the average user uses the same password across an average of five account logins, both personal and business.
- Accidental sharing and exposure: A moment of carelessness can lead to an employee sending data to a cyber criminal. This can have serious ramifications and lead to your sensitive business data ending up in the wrong hands.
- Falling for phishing scams: Since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, phishing attacks have increased by over 60%. An untrained employee may find it difficult to detect these deceiving scams, which can lead to leakage of sensitive business information.
Businesses must develop a security-focused culture through comprehensive and continual security training to avoid or mitigate unplanned downtime or disruptions due to data loss incidents. Employees consistently exposed to security training are more likely to follow cyber security best practices, thereby ensuring your business data is not left in the lurch.
Implementing security awareness training is just as important to preventing data loss incidents as having a robust backup strategy. Backups can help you recover mission-critical data quickly in the event of data loss or corruption, and can save your business from losing crucial revenue or clients. In addition to safeguarding crucial business data, a robust backup can also ensure that:
- You have access to complete copies of your business’ data assets in one place.
- You can significantly reduce business downtime following a data loss incident.
- The overall confidence in your business increases among customers and partners.
An effective backup strategy is characterised by multi-layered mediums and failover options, proper policy and procedure development, regular testing, and the implementation of comprehensive and consistent security awareness training.
Regular Training Limits the Need to Excessively Depend on Backups
Cyber criminals are experts at exploiting global events to scam people and businesses. The COVID-19 pandemic gave hackers a golden opportunity to exploit the loopholes left unaddressed by companies adopting the remote work model.
With incidents of phishing and ransomware attacks going through the roof, security awareness training is more relevant now than ever before. By mitigating the human errors and mistakes that often factor into many data loss or corruption incidents, you can dramatically minimise costs and consequences that could impact your business’ success.
During the pandemic in 2020, 56% of businesses recovered their data using backups after a ransomware attack. Many of these businesses could have avoided the damages inflicted by these attacks if they effectively trained their employees on how to spot common warning signs of cyber threats such as ransomware scams.
Deploying a data protection strategy that incorporates both backups and security awareness training will help your business counter data loss effectively.
Incorporate Your Employees Into Your Backup Strategy
With cyber threats becoming increasingly prevalent and malicious, you must take any measure possible to protect your business and its mission-critical data.
Building and implementing the right strategy for both backups and security awareness training can be easier with the right partner. We can help you implement a comprehensive data protection plan that incorporates employee training and data backup solutions that will enable your business to avoid data loss events that can jeopardise your business’ future. Drop us an email today at email@example.com